How can I compile a real static applicati on?

    Hi,
    I compiled a application on redhat linux 9 with gtk on my computer, but it can not work on a another
computer without gtk, how can I compile a real
static application , or how can I find all the libraies that my application needs ,then I can package them
into my application.
thanks a lot
Best regards
                                                                              rh_work