Re: Which widget should I use?

Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
Hi list!

I need to represent some data in my application. The data is actually a
trace of functions. The size of the list is not fixed, but it has a limit of
200 elements. When the 200 limit is reached, I clear the older element and
then add the new one.
I have the list in a file (from procfs) and now I need to show it. I thought
about to draw the name of the function inside a rectangle and then an arrow
pointing to the next element. Something like this:

|func1|   --->   |func2|

But I don't know what kind of widget I need to use. Maybe this is not the
best way to represent this... should I use a treeview to show the list?
Which are the advantages?

Well, unless you have a phenomenally wide screen, 200 boxes pointing to each other as you depict above will never fit. Besides, once you get above 5-10 boxes, comprehension begins to plummet.

I'd just put them in a simple list, in whatever order makes sense to your audience (first to last or last to first.) You can do that with a tree view backed by a list store.

--
Guy Rouillier