g_spawn_async_with_pipes hangs on OSX Tiger

I'm currently porting a GTK+/SDL app to OSX Tiger. In the app I spawn g++
using g_spawn like this:

g_spawn_async_with_pipes(path.c_str(), arguments, NULL,G_SPAWN_SEARCH_PATH,
                             NULL, NULL, &gpid,&in, &out, &err,&error);

The code does run and the output file is compiled successfully, but after
the g_spawn call my main program will semi hang. I can open new gtk windows
but they are not rendered, likewise already open windows are non responsive
and I can't close the app.

I got the GTK+ libs and headers from darwinports and besides this problem
GTK+ runs fine.

I have the same code running under Linux and XP so I guess its a OSX port
bug.

If anyone has any info on this I'd really appreciate it.
And if this list is inappropriate I'll post to the darwinports list instead.

Thanks in advance

/Jacob Kolding