Gtk window repaint fails

I have a problem that I hope that someone can help me with.
I have written a program that use maps and draw on them after
the user has made an query to a db.

When I call a function that searches the db and then repainted the
map (Gtk.Image), the gtk program does not update itselfs automaticly anymore, I have to manually change for example a progress bar so that the window will repaint itselfs, yet not the whole window will update itself.

What it is that causes this problem, until I use that function everything
else works just fine.

/ Thomas