Split-pane Qs

Hi fellow gtk hackers! :)

I have 2 questions that are related. I'll explain the intended use and then ask the questions. In Inkscape we're putting color swatches in the main UI. We would like for the swatch area to be re-sizable (if a condition can be met), and without writing a bunch of new code, it appears that the interim solution is to be using a pane-split. A problem that we have is that our tools are switchable via the F keys, and when a re-sizable split is used, F6 & F8 are used for that. So, onto the questions...

1) Is it possible to have a re-sizable split-pane view and override the functions of F6 & F8? If we could avoid having those keys hijacked, that would be excellent. We really only need the mouse to re-size it because it's not really intended to be used like most splits are (this one is just a temporary workaround). 2) Let's say #1 isn't possible. Is it then possible to set a minimum size for a fixed pane? It seems to default to it's size of choice and currently the swatches are a couple rows tall (vs just having one row which is what we're looking for).

We are currently using a fixed pane, but the default size is too big. To recap, we either want a fixed pane to have a new minimum/maximum size or to be able to use a non-fixed split-pane that we can override gtk's automatic use of F6 and F8 for resizing and switching. Hopefully that all made sense. ;)

Thanks for any help,

-Josh
Inkscape
Draw Freely