Differences between kinds of events

I am trying to get a handle on some basic aspects of
event handling. In particular, I can't quite
figure-out why a drawing area (created with
gtk_drawing_area_new ()) can handle mouse-clicks set
up with a g_signal_connect call for
"button_release_event", but not keyboard input setup
with the same g_signal_connect for "key_press_event".
(Incidentally, I setup the drawing with
gtk_widget_set_events() for GDK_KEY_PRESS_MASK and
GDK_BUTTON_PRESS_MASK).

I ultimately just used g_signal_connect with the main
window to catch keypresses. But it wasn't clear to me
why I couldn't get g_signal_connect to handle keyboard
events for a drawing area. Any explanation would be
appreciated.

Thanks!