Setting the Visual of a GtkWidget

Hello everyone

I am new to GTK+ and to mailing lists so I hope I didn't screw something up
:-)

 I need a possibility of setting the visual for my widgets (for OpenGL
rendering). Basically, I found the gdk_new_window() function that let's me
create a window with my desired visual, but I have no idea how to
permanently connect this window to a widget. A possible hack would be
changing the "window" field of the GtkWidget struct, but I don't think it's
safe. Also, I need to be assured that the same visual is used when the
window gets recreated for some reason.
 I foudn the gtk_widget_set_visual() function but it appears to be
deprecated.

 I would appreciate your help.