gtk_text_view again

Hello,
I have an app that displays a series of integers into a gtk_text_view,
something like:
        1        2        3         45       67     6785 \n
       23       4       45         34       12        11 \n
This is displayed into a gtk_paned and I control manually the
scrollbar so I only draw the screen space, not the millions of
integers I have in the buffer.
I want to use all screen space, so if I make the window bigger, I can put
     1        2        3          45      67     6785      23\n
     4       45       34         12      11
Well, thanks to some help from the people of the list I managed to
make it.

Now, the problem is that I can make the screen bigger, but I cant make
it smaller, the app doesn't send me signals when I try to make it
smaller.Seems when something is written into gtk_text_view, it's not
possible to make it smaller. Looking at the list archives,it looks
nobody had this problem before because they use automatic scrollbars.

The problem with automatic scrollbars is that they create a bitmap
memory of the entire gtk_text_buffer, then display only the visible
part. Using this, I needed more than 15 minutes to view a part of a
2Megs file, without this, is instantaneous.

So, as I need this functionality, if I cant find how to do that, I
will have to reinvent the wheel, and make my own layout system. Before
doing that, I ask the gtk people if someone could help me, I'm going
to make this program GPL if somebody cares.

Cheers                                                            Jose Hevia