How gtk+ get the default font of system?

Hi guys,

I use gnome-font-properties to configure my default application font to "Arial Regualr 13", and then i write one pure gtk+ application which just show one label in the gtk window, and this gtk+ application will use 'Arial Regular 13' to display, I am wondering why my configuration through gconf can take effect on pure gtk+ applications immediately(need not restart), there is no any gconf function call in gtk+ code. could anybody give me some hints on this?

Regards,
Yandong