Widget Type Checking

I hope this is how you ask questions about GTK++ application development. Im
new to this realm. I also subscribed to the list.

My question is:

I have a vbox that contains x number of hboxs. Each hbox contains 2 items, a
label and either a GTK_COMBO or a GTK_ENTRY.

I need to gather all of these "text fields" (using gtk_entry_get_text(..))
 in the GTK_COMBO or GTK_ENTRY and just print them to the terminal.

My question is: is there a way to check whether the second item in the hbox
is either a GTK_COMBO or GTK_ENTRY? by doing this I would know whether to
use
GTK_ENTRY(GTK_COMBO(item->entry)) or just GTK_ENTRY(item) for the parameter
of gtk_entry_get_text.

Thanks in advance,
Leon