Funcamentals of GTK

OK I'm having some trouble understanding how a GTK application actually
works. I've created a few terminal based applications in C for linux. When I
want my application to continually perform a particular function I set up a
loop. Within this loop I call the functions to update data etc....

So now I'm wanting to do something very simple like update the GUI in gtk
with newly aquired data (text on a menu button label). But I have no idea
how this works. The tutorials I've seen show you how to update data when an
event occurs such as clicking on a button...but not how to update
information continually...with no user interaction. Are there any tutorials
on how to do this? I have looked through the API refs etc but I just can't
grasp how to do this...so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Sent from the Gtk+ - Apps Dev forum at Nabble.com.