Re: Notification area application

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 07:37 -0700, BobS0327 wrote:

I am trying to develop an application that resides in the notification area
of Fedora 5 and version 2.14.0 of the Notification area.  I have found some
sample code on the internet  for a base system tray (notification area)
application.  It compiles without any problem but no icon appears in the
notification area.

Thus, can anybody provide any assistance to help me develop this base system
tray application?

Thanx

Bob,

You and I may be at the same place in writing code to this interface.  I
include three links to answer your question.
1. look at libegg/tray and use that code as is or modified.  Your
already have a notification tray in the gnome panel (or add to panel
one), as a target for this code.  This code also includes a test program
for the two type/styles of tray_icons.
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/libegg/?only_with_tag=MAIN

2. Some guidance on how/when to use a notification area versus a
gnome-panel-applet.
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/desktop-notification-area.html

3. The FreeDesktop.org spec or description of the notification area
protocol.
http://standards.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-0.2.html

Hope this helps,
James,