keypress/release event timing issues

Hi, I'm writing a program that heavily depends on precise measurement of keystroke latencies.

I'd like to write it in GTK, but I'm having some timing issues. Would someone please explain to me (or point me out to an explanation) how the GdkEventKey.time in key_press_event is found?

I'm having some strange results - if I measure time-delta between successive keystrokes, I get values like: 56 55 55 49 48 48 47 47 39 39 31 - it's like there's 8ms[+-1ms] step between these so I'll never get a value like 44. (I've tried it on 2 different computers with the same results.)

Why is that? And is there anything I can do to suppress this behavior?

Thanks for any help.

Jan