Windows don't fully paint on start up

I am writing an application that has two windows. Frequently, one
or both windows do not get painted properly on start up, in the sense
that some widgets are missing until, for example, the mouse is moved
over them. Once I minimize the window and then maximize it, it repaints
itself perfectly, and the problem goes away for that particular run.
So, what I have is a start up problem.

Furthermore, this problem doesn't happen quite as often if I sleep for some
time after showing the windows but before the main event loop has been
entered.

Finally, this problem seems to only be happening on KDE.

The way I see it is as though there is some race condition somewhere in
the library. Anybody could please suggest what may be the cause for this,
or, if not, if there is any work around.

Best regards,

Nickolai

PS I am using GTK v 2.4