Re: weirdest problem yet

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 21:59 +1000, Nick Watts wrote:
[inkscape crash on loading a jpeg]

Second, today I'm trying to create a website with my own GTK+ text editor
and when I open text files with it from ONE PARTICULAR directory, it
randomly adds duplicate 'new line' characters where there should only be one
so that large portions of the document show up double spaced. This only
happens with files opened from this one directory. Anyone have ANY clue why
either of these occur?

could be file system corruption...  Could be a "conv" mount option that
some operating systems have to convert between MS-DOS or Mac and Unix
format.. could be a coincidence and there's weirdness in the files...
If the inkscape crash is reproducible, submit the bug with bug-buddy,
or at the very least attack inkscape with gdb to find out where it dies;
could also be that you've upgraded some libraries in your system and
not others... in other words it's hard to guess...

copy the files into another directory (e.g. on Unix or Unix-like
systems with cp -a), use "cmp" to make sure they are the same,
and see if you can reproduce the problem.

Try with the 2nd directory on the same filesystem, and then on a
different one.

If you can't reproduce it, keep the copies, and run fsck to check the
disk.

Oh - also note that some programs may have problems with files or
directories having spaces or punctuation in their names, especially
If you find it's the filenames, please report a bug against each program
affected!

Thanks,

Liam

Ankh: irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org http://www.holoweb.net/