Re: Semi-transparent GdkWindows?

Matthias Clasen schrieb:

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 12:49 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:

Help appreciated!

You need to use an RGBA visual for your window, see
gdk_screen_get_rgba_visual().

Thanks!

Even then, the window will not
be transparent unless a compositing manager is running, which is
not really detectable currently. Thats the reason why I did not
implement this in gtkdnd.c when I worked on cursors.
I don't see why this prevents us from integrating this functionality into GTK+. Since a clipping bitmap is always set for drag icons, the onliest bad thing that can happen is that your drag icons aren't semi-transparent at locations where the alpha value is between 1 and 254, right? Since Metacity and many other WMs support this as of writing, you can always tell people to grab a recent WM.