Gtk::Notebook set_current_page not redrawing

Hi,
  I am experiencing a refresh/redraw problem when trying to set the active
tab in a Gtk::Notebook with set_current_page, in gtkmm 2.4.
 I have in a Gtk::Window a Gtk::Notebook, with various tabs created at
startup. These tabs are to become active when a controller receives a
special event. When the event is received and the tab which needs to be
activated is found, i use the set_current_page function.
The problem is that it won't refresh, till i do some manual action (like
moving the mouse over the window, or moving the window ... ).
First i tried just calling the set_current_page ... no luck.
Then i also tried calling the queue_draw, show and so on for the widget
which had to become active ... also for the notebook .. and even for the
main window ... i guess i did not try all the possibilities, but i did not
manage to get it to work.
 Any pointers would be highly appreciated.
 Regards,
 Cesc
PS - I am cross posting the message ... i am new here and i am not sure
which mail list is the correct one. I apologize in advance.