Pango problems with GtkCellRenderText

I've got a GtkTreeList with one of the columns rendinging strings with a GtkCellRendererText (which is also editable).

I'm presenting a sequence of bytes as characters in the format
xx-xx-xx-xx

The problem I've got is that Pango thinks that there is something special about a string with hyphens in, and attempts to render it in many weird and wonderful ways. Some sequences e.g. 01-01-01-01 come out with characters that look like mini matrices, while others such as ff-ff-ff-ff produce the following warning on the command line
Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

Is there a way of stopping this? I know with a GtkLabel you can enable and disable Pango markup - can I do the same here.

Regards,

Will.