Re: memprof problem

Allin Cottrell wrote:

I've successfully used memprof for leak-checking my app in the past,
but on trying it recently something odd happens: memprof starts up
OK, and it also starts up the target program, but the target program
is not visible (doesn't appear on screen) and memprof records no
memory usage.

I tried this with various standard gnome apps as well as my own
program, with the same (non-) result.

I then tried rebuilding memprof (0.5.1) with the current Debian
patches for compilation against current binutils (GNU binutils
2.16.1).  Still nothing.

Any ideas what could be happening here?  Thanks.

(All I see on stderr is

memintercept (449): _MEMPROF_SOCKET = /tmp/memprof.uTNjuX
memintercept (449): New process, operation = NEW, old_pid = 0
)

Any chance this could be either
a) some sort of incompatibility by standard system components, like libc
b) a problem of insufficient execution permissions? Try as "root".

You could also try to utilize "strace" to get an idea whether any stupid
and unreported ENOFILE error (or similar) cumbers memproof execution.