Re: Gtk && Xara

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 11:08 -0700, Joshua A. Andler wrote:
Colossus wrote:

Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

Since the Cairo rendering engine is *SLOW* and the Xara Extreme is being
ported to linux, with the full API,
i think thatÂs a good idia to port the Gtk engine to use XaraÂs
System since

Who told you Cairo is slow in comparison to Xara Extreme ?
Xara Extreme is not GPL so no port is possible.

A) http://xaraxtreme.org/about/ - Scroll down to the charts. That's what
shows the difference in speed. Plus with a comparison of Inkscape (with
a renderer that is faster than Cairo), Illustrator, and Xara I can tell
you is that their charts aren't skewed. It's just that fast.
B) The Xara codebase isn't available yet, as they're still working on
porting it. However, it will be available under the GPL in a few weeks
or so (they've already committed to it and we've been talking to the
Xara CEO on the Inkscape devel-list about it).
C) The Cairo guys and Xara guys will probably be talking a bit in the
future as well. If Cairo's canvas can get optimized to even a half the
speed of Xara's canvas, it'll be happy time for everyone. =D

This whole discussion is pointless, since GTK+ is LGPL, not GPL...