data acqusition, display and control

I am using gtk to develop a control interface. Am a bit new to this.
BAsically I am acquiring data using some library functions and
dispalying them in 6 text boxes . When i click on the bacq function
this acquistion starts.

        gtk_signal_connect(GTK_OBJECT(bacq),"clicked",GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC(button_funcacq),NULL);

My problem is that when this happend the dispaly window goes blank and
am unable to control it. I need to be able to access another button
when this acqusition is occuring and it id part of the same window.
How do I do that ? Is there some other signal event I can use.

Thanks
Prem