gtk window size/position on win32?

Quoting the reference on gtk_window_position:

"If you are saving and restoring your application's window positions, you should know that it's impossible for applications to do this without getting it somewhat wrong because applications do not have sufficient knowledge of window manager state. The Correct Mechanism is to support the session management protocol (see the "GnomeClient" object in the GNOME libraries for example) and allow the window manager to save your window sizes and positions."

Can anyone tell me how one would do this on win32? I've tried manually "remembering" window position and size (keying off the window's "configure-event"), but just as the gtk docs say, this does not work quite right.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics