Text Label on top of button Image

Is there a way to have a text label on top of a button image?  What I am
looking to do is to customize the button widget with images for the pressed
and released button states.  However, I still want to have a label on top of
the image so that I can change the text and font size without having to
change the image. In other words, I am trying to avoid having to have the
text embedded in the image.

I tried using both the button's label and image.  However, it always
appeared to want to push the image to one side of the button, and push the
label to the other side of the button. I was not able to find a way to
overlay the label on top of the button image.

Thanks,

Bill Sousan