Re: combo rant

David Necas (Yeti) wrote:
On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 11:26:58PM +0200, Paul Pogonyshev wrote:

It is the trade-off of the policy that "the selected item is under the pointer in
the just shown popup, period."  I think it is generally good, but this is an example
of where it shows its drawbacks.  However, for the sake of UI consistency, I believe
it should _not_ be changed.  I.e. it be "under the pointer, period", not "under the
pointer, but only if..."

It's funny you say that in a thread where intents to
make an alternative implementation were mentioned just a few
mails ago.  If a policy leads to consequences disliked so
much that people start implementing their own widgets,
you failed twice: first, you these new widgets will be far
more inconsistent, not speaking about follow the policy;
and second, you wasted these people time.

Yeah, so I should shut up and hold my opinion, because this thread is
dedicated to bashing GTK+ combo, or what?  If `these people' (assuming
you speak for them) don't want their time wasted by dissenting opinions,
they should not post to this list.  After all, many/most developers of
GTK+ itself will disagree, since they developed this combo widget.

Second, policy `the items always appear in the same
positions (relative to the combo)' would be at least as much
consistent.  If the position was for exmple below combo, one
would be in trouble only if the combo was near bottom screen
edge, not any horizontal edge like now.

Yes, ``the popup starts with the first item'' policy is no less
consistent than GTK+'s.  I was trying to say that ``the popup sometimes
starts with the selected item under the pointer, sometimes not'' policy
would not be consistent.

How many problems must a policy cause to make people realize
it's wrong?

Just recently I had usability problems with Java Swing combo, because
I wanted to switch from an item to a different, close one.  With GTK+
it would have been close to the pointer in the popup, obviously.  With
Java, I still had to scroll a lot.

So, while GTK+ policy is obviously not flawless, saying that it is
outright wrong is ridiculous.

How long is it since you've last seen a combo box with only
two or three choices that could be replaced with
radiobuttons (or even a yes/no checkbox!) immediately getting:
- visibility of all the choices
- posibility to assign mnemonics to individual choices
- constant positions of the choices
- fix of sceeen edge interaction problems
- fix of obscuring of other widgets
- ease of use (less clicks)
- improved accessibility
Hardly more than a few minutes ago...

So I have a preferences page in my program with 8 radios in three
groups instead of three combos.  Believe me or not.  Anyway, this is
not relevant to GTK+ combo discussion, only with regard to GNOME HIG.

Paul