Problem with large clipboards

Hello list,

I'm having strange issues when copying a large selection between two
processes, say from P1 to P2. A large selection is any size past about
500kB.  The first gtk_clipboard_request_contents() in P2 always
succeeds.  The subsequent calls (even if I copy a different large
object in P1) either fail, or come back with a weird data size; often
they are exactly 256kBytes long.  Eventually-- after a dozen failed
calls-- I start getting the correct blob of data.

This only happens between processes; repeated pasting in the same
process works OK.  Therefore, I am suspecting the transfer protocol
somewhere in GTK.  Did anyone run into this issue before?  I'm using
Gtk 2.8.6.

TIA,
Aleks
--