Re: gtk, cairo and pdf

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 12:17 -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, DANIELLLANO terra es wrote:

Allin Cottrell wrote:
I'm
wondering if, with cairo, one can readily create (or at some point
will be able to create) a gtk widget that "natively" displays PDF
fragments?

Yes, it's possible.

Take a look at the application:
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evince/

and the library:
http://poppler.freedesktop.org/

Thanks, these look very interesting.  I notice, though, that poppler
uses the xpdf code base.  Nothing wrong with that, but I was
wondering if cairo could handle this sort of thing natively (or if
there are plans for that).

Cairo is just a drawing layer (think OpenGL for 2d).  It doesn't
understand file formats.  Poppler is a document widget that uses Cairo
to render.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>