Getting the pixel size of a Pango layout

Hi all,

I've been trying to get the size of a Pango layout and I am having problems. My code is doing roughly this:

string text = "1";
text = "<span background=\"gray\">" + text.text + "</span>";

pango_layout_set_markup (mTextObjLayout, text.c_str(), -1);

PangoRectangle ext;
pango_layout_get_pixel_extents (mMapTextLayout, NULL, &ext);

When I look at ext, I see width = 189 for the small bit of (actual) text that exists in the string. The "ink" and "logical" values are roughly the same too-large size.

Is the huge size because of the extra markup language in the string? (But when I go into gdb and just use the straight string "1", I get the same size.)

Is it because mMapTextLayout is being reused to store the layouts of a number of strings? (Then shouldn't it be reset whenever I set a new markup?)

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Rob