Approximate size of GtkTextBuffer

I've looked through the GTK2 API, and I've poked around in this forum, but I'll be stuffed if I can find a
way to figure out aproximately how much memory the text in a GtkTextBuffer is taking up.

I'm storing a log file, and it's almost all ASCII, so the byte and character counts should be almost the
same, except for the two tags and the occasional marker (I'm not sure whether they take up space in the text
buffer or not...).

The short of it is that I'd like to keep the log trimmed to roughly a set size (3KB at present, but I'll be
increasing that drastically -- perhaps even into the range of a few 100's of KB's).  The log comes in chunks,
so before each chunk, I drop a mark (which is appended to a GSList).  I also check the size of the buffer
(currently in characters), and while it's over the limit I delete everything up to the first mark (which is
taken off the GSList), and check again.  (The buffer will sit at just a little over-size)

As I said, I'm currently working on a character count, which should be pretty close to the mark.  However,
I'd prefer to use the number of bytes worth of visible text, but failing that, the number of bytes of used
space in the buffer.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com