Freeing temporary context sensitive pop-up menus

I am generating some context sensitive pop-up menus and I'm afraid I'm leaking the memory used in their
allocation. The basic flow of the program goes:

1.  Click on a column in a tree-view
2.  Capture the button press event and create and show a pop up menu based on certain criteria.
3.  gtk_widget_destroy the menu "container" to hopefully destroy the created menu.

Will this work or will I have lots of unreferenced menus hanging around in limbo?

Thanks.