Some Installation Questions

I'm upgrading my gtk+ from whatever I got with suse 9.1.
I don't want to screw up the existing gnome/gtk+ libraries,
so I'm installing into a safe area called /extra/G, with
subdirectories
/extra/G/lib   /extra/G/include   /extra/G/man   etc.

In my .profile I updated
PATH  PKG_CONFIG_PATH   LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and did the usual ./configure --prefix=/extra/G and so forth,
building in the recommended order: thus far I have

atk-1.9.0     jpeg-6b         tiff-3.6.1
glib-2.6.2    libpng-1.2.8    zlib-1.2.2
gtk+-2.6.2    pango-1.8.0

I just tried out some of the examples in gtk+-2.6.2/demos
but kept getting warnings like
(lt-pixbuf-demo:6270): Gtk-WARNING **:
Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap"

Did I forget something, like another PATH variable?
The "pixbuf-demo" looked good, but some of the other examples
didn't seem quite right.

Also, I just read that version 2.6.3 has been released.
If I re-install glib and gtk, should I re-build atk-1.9.0
and pango-1.8.0?

3rd question: what other tarballs should I include above?
I'm probably using some existing libraries from the suse distro
(I'm thinking of pango).

This linux box belongs to Uncle Sam, so I don't have complete
freedom to play around; hence, my paranoia.

I appreciate your help. Thanks,

Mike Eckhoff