Re: How can I display the buttons in a dialog's action area vertically?

The documentation says the action_area is indeed a GtkHButtonBox. I
doubt that you can change this to a GtkVButtonBox, because that is not
the way dialog widgets normally behave. Perhaps, instead, you could
put all the choices as entries in a GtkComboBox. Then simply have the
usual Ok and Cancel buttons in your action_area. A dozen "choice"
buttons is a little overwhelming to a user, and also eats up a lot of
screen real estate.

Cheers,
Chris Anderson