GtkEntry widget in a MenuItem not getting button_press_event signals

Am I doing something wrong?  the online ref. man for GtkMenuItem says:

 "As it derives from GtkBin it can hold any valid child widget, altough
only a few are really useful."

.. so I put a GtkTable in it, then put a 2D array of GtkEntry widgets in
that, and then connected the GtkEventBoxes to the button_press_event.

If I put the table into an hbox, the signal handler gets invoked and
all's hoopy.

What might I be doing wrong?  Am I abusing the MenuItem class somehow?

  // Wally