Re: What's the deal with gtkglarea?

Gee, I just spent months porting the 1.2 dependent OpenEV application to
gtk2.  The lackadaisical 'why don't you just use 2.0' illustrates the
problem nicely.  gtk2 may not have been a huge change over 1.2, but more
problematic was the corresponding pygtk change, throw in a few other
gtk1.2 dependent dependencies like gtkglarea and gtkextra and you've got
headaches.

It may seem trivial to make the change from 1.2 to 2, but it's a mistake
to treat this lightly, because applications pull together a lot of
interdependent pieces.  Each deprecation and preferred new api can
translate into a lot of rewritten code.  What if datasets used by your app
stored fonts with x strings, and you want to initialize a pango font
chooser?  Maybe you'll find that easy solution, but oops, there goes
another hour.

The proper course of action for an application written on gtk 1.2 is
indeed to use gtk2, because 1.2 is dead.  An application dependent on it
will wither and die.  Too bad you'll have to spend so much time porting.

On the plus side, it seems to me that gtk2 and the built in types of
pygtk2 are a more stable design and future changes should be more along
the lines of new stuff.  I've got my fingers crossed, anyway!

-> Pete

Pete Nagy                                        tel: (303) 583-0248
Vexcel Corporation                               fax: (303) 583-0246
http://www.vexcel.com                           home: (303) 823-2336
use GTK 2.0?