Button Label Size/Padding

I'm specifically setting the height of a button to 20 pixels high and
setting the font to "Bitstream Vera Sans 8".  It looks fine on my Fedora
Core2 box, but on a Fedora Core3 system its clipping letters with
descenders.  After examining screen shots from both systems, the font is
fine, but the label is rendering different.

The requested height of the label is one pixel shorter on the FC3 box
and the label is aligned one pixel lower in the button.  I'm trying to
figure out what is causing this and would welcome any suggestions.

Both systems say the button border width is zero, so that can't be it.
I tried but failed to figure out how to get the focus padding.  Is there
anything else I could look into?