Re: Drawing a GtkWidget to an offscreen bitmap

From: Gaurav Jain

I wish to know if it is possible to draw a GtkWidget directly to an
offscreen bitmap (without drawing it on the screen).  I need this so
that I can implement transparency in the widget

I have asked this question at last spring and offscreen rendering
was not possible.

My master solution was to wrap both X11 and OpenGL renderings
with GTK logistic. I.e., one can transparently build GTK
object hiearchies in X11 and OpenGL worlds.

We can have the solution otherways but still GTK logistic layer
would be nice. With gtkglext one can do fantastic things with
OpenGL but no GTK widgets can be placed there.

Due this uncertain I have only tried to use OpenGL but having no
widgets there, the programming is hopelessly difficult. Using GTK
and OpenGL separately makes GUI design difficult; one little design
decision change may mean a switch from GTK to OpenGL, hundreds of
lines of code should be changed.

Could anyone recommend OpenGL-only toolkit having all the whistles
and bells that GTK has?

Juhana