editing-started signal on GtkCellRenderer

I have the following:

   renderer = gtk_cell_renderer_text_new();
   g_signal_connect(renderer, "editing-started",
                              (GCallback) text_editing_started, (gpointer) list_store);

when the code attempts to connect the signal I get the following:

 GLib-GObject-WARNING **: gsignal.c:1709: signal `editing-started' is invalid for instance `0xb6f93f0'

is this signal not a part of the renderer? I found it in the API for 2.6 but I'm compiling against 2.4.14.

The callback looks like this:
void
text_editing_started (GtkCellRenderer *cell,
                      GtkCellEditable *editable,
                      const gchar     *path,
                      gpointer         data)
{