Bad documentation for Combo Box

Bug in documentation? Looks like sort of. I found out that the GTK2 Tutorial explains a way of using combo boxes which are not the same to which the GTK 2 Reference refers to. It is "GtkCombo" against "GtkComboBox". I have also noted that in Glade the old combobox is not even listed, at least not with that name (in the Obsolete palette, there is something called OptionMenu).

In fact, what I needed was a rather simple, "read-only" combo box. Something like... it would load a list of strings before being shown, and afterwards the selected value/string could be retrieved. Is there a simple way to get that? Sorry if that offends someone, but for me it seems that all this new stuff about iters, models, cell renderer etc. are a good concept which are implemented in a very very complicated way...

Thank you and best regards,

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil