GtkComboBox events

I'm trying to hook up the enter-notify, leave-notify, focus-in and
focus-out events to a GtkComboBox and having no luck.  I'm using the
same code that works fine for my GtkEntry, GtkButton and GtkCheckButton
widgets.

I would think since the ComboBox is derived from a GtkWidget it would
emit all the GtkWidget signals or is this incorrect?  The one native
event for the ComboBox, "changed" works just fine.  Here is the code I'm
using:

g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT(control->control),
                  "enter-notify-event",
                  G_CALLBACK (mouse_enter_event),
                  (gpointer)control);
g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT(control->control),
                  "leave-notify-event",
                  G_CALLBACK (mouse_leave_event),
                  (gpointer)control);
g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT(control->control),
                  "focus-in-event",
                  G_CALLBACK (control_gainfocus_event),
                  (gpointer)control);
g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT(control->control),
                 "focus-out-event",
                 G_CALLBACK (control_lostfocus_event),
                 (gpointer)control);

/* This event works fine */