GTK+ & images

I have not been able to find a way to add an image to the background of a window created with glade. I would like to have the base window to have a background image and each button on that window to also have an image as background. I have seen this done on VB & want the same functionality in GTK+.
Can this be done?

Alf Stockton

Hand, n.:
        A singular instrument worn at the end of a human arm and
commonly thrust into somebody's pocket.