Modifying GtkFileChooser to disable/hide parts of it?

        I would like to disable/hide a few pieces of the stock GtkFileChooser
interface, such as the left pane where directories are listed, and the
path navigation buttons above the right pane.  For an app I working on
currently, I need users locked down to a certain directory and one
subdirectory below it that already exists, and only be able to save/load
files in those two directories.  No creating new directories, navigating
to other far off and exciting lands, etc., etc....    I can't just
chroot the entire app, because it needs to get to things other places in
the filesystem the user can't know about (embedded application-specific
app).

        My hope was that there would be some properties in GtkFileChooser to
turn off or hide it's major components, but that is not the case.  Ages
ago I had dug in to the old GtkFileSelection widget and figured out how
turn off it's child widgets appropriately, but this of course caused
other occasional problems (it wanted to unrealize things that weren't
realized, etc.).  I'd like to avoid this approach if possible with
GtkFileChooser.  It's already so close to what I need that I'd rather
avoid reinventing something of my own, but I'll do that if I absolutely
have to...

        Any suggestions as to the best way to cleanly disable/hide parts of
GtkFileChooser?

        Thanks!

-Al

--

Al Hooton
al-at-hootons-dot-org

========
Maintainer of the linux-based open-source project Parapin.
http://www.sf.net/projects/parapin/
========