debugging excessive memory usage, after converting to use GArray's

I have my GTK+ app and have recently changed a portion to use GLIB's GArray for
dynamic storage,  the arrays are created as a glfoat with 4096 elements by
default.  About 30 times per second my app reads some data from a device and
tacks it onto the array (g_array_append)

I'm finding my application is eating about 288 bytes EVERY time it adds a value
to an array.. (it should only eat 4 bytes as the values are gfloats)

Now since I have 52 arrays, each appending 30 values per second, I'm eating
almost a megabyte a minute. needless to say this is going to exhaust my
machine's RAM a lot sooner than it should..

Anyone know of any good tools to find out where memory is either 1. leaking, or
2. excessively allocated?

I've tried valgrind but it slows things down so much as to make it completely
unusable..  Aside from eating memory like mad, it's stable and does NOT crash..

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk