Re: gdk_threads_enter/leave() in threaded and non threaded situation

hi again,

this with the thread was a bad idea ;).
I now have a solution that is imho hacky.
I wrap my g_object_set() call by gdk_threads_leave()/enter() to temporaily release the lock.

Meanwhile I have downloaded the sources of a lot of gnome apps and now I will study how they do it.

Thanks a lot for your help so far. Still the gdk_threads_leave()/enter() has to happen in my gtk app and can't happen in the core-lib.
The core lib does not even depend on gdk.

Stefan

another go in trying to make the situation clear.

I have two place in the source that is causing the notify signal to be emited:
A) core lib :: sequence.play()
   * when called from a gtk app it will run inside a thread
   * the method directly changes the property and calls g_object_notify()
B) gtk app :: sequence-view.button_press()
   * is already protected by enter()/leave()
   * uses g_object_set() to change the property in the core lib

The consumer of the notify:: signal is in the gtk app and call gtk methods. When A) sent the notify it would need to protect the gtk-calls by enter()/leave().
If B) has triggered the notify if must not, as this blocks.

Pushing the enter()/leave() upstream is not easy as well.
A) can't use enter()/leave() as it is not gtk related and b) can't as this would block.

The only idea I now have is when starting the thread from the gtk-app, not starting sequence.play() as a thread. Instead creating a method in the gtk app that is started as a thread and that calls sequence.play() wrapped by enter()/leave().

I'll try this now.

Stefan