Glib and memory allocation

Hi,
it's not clear to me what happens when memory has been allocate with
g_new or g_realloc and not freed. I mean: obviously  this memory
remains in the user space of the process as an infamous memory leak
but it seems to me that under linux 2.4.26 this memory is not freed
also when the process has died! I think that is a problem in vm in
this (quite old) release of Linux but I'd like to know if someone has
already found   this strange behaviour in glib/Linux.
Thanks in advance

--
-- Cristiano