error building simple program with 2.6.1

Hi,

I just downloaded and compiled the following packages to upgrade my gtk 2 installation from 2.4.x to 2.6.1:

glib-2.6.1.tar.bz2
gtk+-2.6.1.tar.bz2
pango-1.8.0.tar.bz2
atk-1.9.0.tar.bz2

The configuration and compilation did not indicate any errors but now I get the following error when I run a
gtk linked program:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_title: assertion `title != NULL' failed

The error comes out of the call to gtk_init(&argc,&argv)   :
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <gtk/gtk.h>

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   gtk_init(&argc,&argv);

   return(0);
}

If I run a newlly compiled and linked application (agains 2.6.1) the app crashes and dumps a core. If I run
an application that was linked to a previous gtk version the error above displays but the application runs ok
after that.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.