building modules/plugins (GModule) in a portable way

Hi all,

we have excellent portable GModule functions for module loadingin glib,
but how do we compile them in a portable way? I thought libtool was the
solution, but I have little success there.

My plugin uses symbols that are exported by the application, and the
plugin exports a single symbol to the application.

I therefore, compile my application with

libtool -mode=compile $CC blabla compile flags

and then I link it with

libtool -mode=link $CC -export-dynamic blabla link flags

I compile the plugin with

libtool -mode=compile $CC blabla compile flags

and I link the plugin with

libtool -mode=link $CC -module -export-dynamic blabla link flags

but linking fails.... If I add '-shared' to this command, it succeeds on
Linux, but it fails on OSX...

So what is the portable way to compile plugins?

regards,
        Olivier