Re: If this starts another flamewar please ignore

On 2005.12.20 04:22, Yiannis wrote:
For those not knowing the story... Linus Torvalds made the following statement and is posted on 13/12/05 "This 'users are idiots, and are confused by functionality' mentality of Gnome is a disease."
<snip typical anti-gnome rant>

You know, I have been using Gnome since version 0.6 or something like that. So I used it way back when it had all that 'functionality'. And I liked it, that's why I stuck with it. I've developed many programs for myself or my contracts in Gnome. And I use it as a desktop. From version 0.6 I've used it as my only desktop; not primary, not mostly, but only.

Back when we switched to the 'simpler' Gnome I was flummoxed. But, where are all my settings? Where is all my cool stuff to change around? But Gnome 2.0 looked so great... Now, I can't even remember what it was I was so upset about missing. I LIKE that all the apps look the same, I like that they act the same. I like them having buttons that do the same things, I like having the help look familiar, when I need it. I even like the way the Metacity works, when at first I hated it. It's comfy and simple and doesn't get in my way.

There are only two things I dislike about the changes:
1. My windows don't remember their spots when I start up the application again, after shutdown, etc. 2. I don't really like spatial nautilus, so I turn it off. And there's that functionality that everyone says is gone; I _can_ turn it off.

And I can set what I want, where I want. When I look at an old gnome desktop I cringe now. Look at all that stuff I had to do to make it even workable! Look at all those settings.

I dunno about Torvalds. He's obviously a tinkerer, and Gnome doesn't need tinkering so much, and he's obviously one who wants things 'just so' and his way only on his desktop. That's great. Me, I'd rather work on my coding and writing papers than tinker with my desktop. And there's one other aspect to Gnome which I really respect. The HIG. It's a bugbear sometimes when coding, but it's a GOOD thing. I have a handicapped family member, I know what handicapped people go through.

My husband uses it, and he's not very computer 'literate', shall we say. And he has his desktop set up and looking exactly as he wants, all customized, with the 'simple' Gnome that's supposedly uncustomizable. It's so oriented to him that I can't use it without some trouble; it's completely unfamiliar. Sometimes I think these critics haven't even seriously tried Gnome.

Kudos to the Gnome developers.  You guys rock.

Cheers,

Rikke Giles