Re: Gtk+ Version compatibilty?

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 19:49 +0100, Maciej Piechotka wrote:
2005/12/19, Matt Hull <mhull1 uic edu>:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, Daniel Pekelharing wrote:
On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 15:29 +0100, David Necas (Yeti) wrote:
I'd recommend to simply compile and *test* the app
successively with Gtk+ 2.4, 2.2, 2.0 till it stops to
build/work.  Although all 2.x versions are essentially
backward compatible, there were various subtle behavioural
changes that may prove critical just for your app and
something can behave oddly even if it builds.  No
compatibility list will tell you that.

If you do not care so much, requiring 2.6.0 should be a safe
bet.

Thanks for the info!

I guess I'll just go with requiring 2.6.0,
seeing as the only older versions I have are in rpm packages,
I don't think it would be easy to install them next to my current
version...
guessing doenst seem to be the right way on that.

Maybe to find the lowest version you (Daniel Pekelharing) should see a
Changelog and/or index of desparected symbols.

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/ix03.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/ix04.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/ix05.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/ix06.html
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/ix07.html

http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/ChangeLog.pre-2-0?rev=1.3254&view=markup
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/ChangeLog.pre-2-2?rev=1.4000&view=markup
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/ChangeLog.pre-2-4?rev=1.5367&view=markup
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/ChangeLog.pre-2-6?rev=1.6286&view=markup
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/ChangeLog.pre-2-8?rev=1.7010&view=markup

Regards

Thanks, I'll check those out..

I don't think I need to be _that_ accurate though, when I actually make
the first release the app in question will still be "pre-alpha", I guess
it'll have a lot of other (bigger) problems.. :-)