stdin redirection help...

Hello all.

I'm trying to run SPICE from inside a GTK program. I've redirected stdin,
stdout and stderr via pipes. The problem I have is with stdin:

How can I tell spice to stop asking for input till I want to send some
more? I read up some about directing the input to /dev/null, which would
provide an EOF situation. I tried to assign this file to the pipe,
without success:

  nll = open("/dev/null", O_RDONLY);
  dup2(nll, std_in[1]);

where std_in[1] is the write port of the pipe.

I always get 100% cpu occupation... Can someone indicate what to do here?

TIA,
John