dynamically changing color of labels and edit boxes

I checked out gtk_widget_modify_bg() and gtk_widget_modify_fg() and they
will do the job. When I checked out gdk_color_parse(const gchar *spec,
GdkColor *color) the spec string is obvious, "0xFFFF00" will do, but how to
create a GdkColor?  I looked at gdk_colormap_alloc_color(), then
gdk_colormap_new() and gdk_visual_get_best() to create a colormap, but then
I noticed that gdk_colomap_alloc_color() did not return a GdkColor just a
boolean status variable.  How do I get a GdkColor to use with
gdk_color_parse()???
Sydney