invisible button

I'm completely baffled.  I have a GtkButton on top of a complex hierarchy
of other widgetry.  It does not appear despite anything I've done, but
it's there because it returns click events (as proven with debugging
breakpoints) throughout the area in which it should be.  I've tried all
sorts of things including putting in extra "show" calls for it (which I
know should have no effect but tried anyway).  Some of our widgets handle
the expose_event so I took those out.  My button still does not appear but
still gets clicks.  I took out some of the underlying widgets, still no
help.  Using GTK 2.2.4 with IceWM.  What kind of scenario could cause
something like this?